Skip to main content

What do I do with someone who owes me $67 and is abusive in being unresponsive

Los Angeles, CA |

So there is this jeweler in Westwood that I sold some gold and silver too and have done a lot of business of this sort with him in the past and be owes me $67 from a few months ago that i sold some silver to him and he won't pay me! I keep texting him and threatened him with a lawyer and small claims and he won't respond. Since I'm young he doesn't take me seriously. He's a joke and a thief who stole a Cartier gold pendant from me that was $2620 and then settled with me for $800!! Now this and the lapd police here is Crap and I'm sure they won't listen and investigate this man. What do I do and how can I teach this garbage to stop cheating people.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


To recover the $67, you would file a lawsuit in the small claims court. If you win, you will also be able to recover your costs (filing fee and process server fee). Unfortunately, you are in quite a dilemma because a civil lawsuit won't achieve the level of justice that you seek, and the amount in controversy is likely too small for the District Attorney's office to prosecute.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


Your question was posted under the practice area of Divorce. This does not appear to be a family law question.



Oh I thought I had posted it under general questions


Sue him in Small Claims Court.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Sue him in small claims and quit doing business with him. report him to better business bureau.

Christine James

Christine James


Certainly stop doing business with him. Reporting him to the BBB is a good idea. Also, see if there are other people on line who have the same type of issues with him. The more people who have problems with him the more you want to stay away and you can probably bring that to the attention of the judge in small claims court.


What is somewhat interesting in your post is that by your account, this incident is the second time that this person cheated you in a transaction, yet you went back to him. The first incident should have taught you to not do business with him.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer