Skip to main content

What do I do with a warrant in debt that isn't mine?

Roanoke, VA |

There was a warrant in debt taped to my door when I got home. The address on the paper is mine, however I have no idea who the defend is. I have never heard of the person, Do I need to contact anyone to make sure the correct person gets this?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You don't have to do anything. However, you can contact the court on the "warrant" and let them know that the person does not live at your address. This, hopefully, would prevent a default judgment from being issued against a person who has not actually received notice.

  2. While you are not REQUIRED to do anything, you can help out the justice system by notifying the court that the defendant on the WID does not live there..
    A simple letter will do the trick--
    Dear (name of court)
    (defendant) does not live at the address, I do.
    (your name and address)

    Mr. Krumbein is admitted to the courts of Virginia. His advice is often based on Virginia and Federal law, however, you should consult a lawyer in your geographic area for more detailed advice.