What do i do when the father of my child wont pay child support he doesnt bother to have anything to do with his daughter expcep

Asked over 2 years ago - Pensacola, FL

my childs father was abusive in our two year relationship he drank very heavily and i left him and moved back in with my family he has since done nothing but simply harass me whenever he sees fit he pays no child support he doesnt have a job or a car or a means of taking care of her my family and i have provided everything for my daughter i can even get a pack of diapers from him but he thinks he can do what he wants because he has visitation but he doesnt not do it in the proper manner there is no time schedule no respect for her well being i dont know where he lives who he is around nothing and he thinks he can just take her when he wants without calling and properly coming to pick her up i don't trust what are my rights to protect my child from him just taking her he has back and forth

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Juna Madray Pulayya

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He needs to establish paternity in order to have rights as the “father”. Based on the facts you may want to retain an attorney and proceed from there.

    JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya

    Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or... more
  2. Gregory Thomas Buckley


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Unless you were married at the time your daughter was born, he does not have as many rights as he may think. Until the paternity of the child has been established by the courts, you are well within your rights to restrict his visitation. You may want to consult with an attorney in your area so that you can learn about your legal rights and responsibilities.

  3. Kristopher Robert Reilly

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The other attorneys are directly on point. However, I would like to make one additional comment.Please remember that even though you are currently not receiving child support, your ex legally has not been established as the father of the child(unless you were married when child was born). Therefore, he has no rights to the child without him taking action. If you do chose to obtain child support, paternity will be established and he will most likely gain legally enforceable rights to the child. In any event, speak with a local attorney to be able to determine your options. Best of Luck.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,437 answers this week

3,124 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,437 answers this week

3,124 attorneys answering