What do I do when the Camden City court has summoned me for a case that I already appeared for & was subsequently dismissed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Camden, NJ

Back in July of 2008 I caught my girlfriend in bed with another man. She had a non-working mini-van parked at another place in the city. In my moment of anger I keyed her can. She callled the police and I was summoned for court. After a few days we agreed to an amount ($350.00) and the amount was paid and when we went to court she told the court she no longer wanted to pursue charges. The case was dismissed. Then in 2011, I get a notice to appear for the same matter. I go to court and she (the ex) is there and she going along with the courts mistake. Basically using the opportunity to try and get more $ out of me. I had her sign a paper when the original transaction to place but can't find now. I have little $, court this week and don't know what to do. Will Camden reimburse my legal?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael T Millar


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should appear in court and tell the judge the history of the case.

    You will not get reimbursed for any legal fees you incur.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have received a court summons, you would be risiing a default judgment against you if you did not go and you could, depending on why you received a summons, be in contempt of court and a warrant issued for your arrest. Hard to fathom that a 2008 case is still knocking around the courts. If its a mistake, point that out to the judge.

    Recommend you hire an attorney as the notes and agreements you made to date have not protected you very well

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If this is a criminal matter, you should get a criminal atty to help you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,055 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,055 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering