What do i do when my attorney is absent the day of sentencing

Asked over 1 year ago - Edinburg, TX

i have a misdemeanor case i declared myself no content and it motion to revoke my felony probation its my 1st felony charge its a 2 or 3rd degree felony now my attorney filed a motion for a new ttrial or hearing to try and dismiss my misdemeanor charge which is a false police report class b misdemeanor now i have court for sentencing on my felony court but i was advised my attorney will be out of town and my misdemeanor is still pending trial/hearing what will happen in my felony court thats up for sentencing will i go to jail? i did get locked up for d motion to revoke and i was placed on house arrest by the judge in the felony court .....

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you hired an attorney, it is his responsibility to reset the case if he cannot be present on the current court date. You absolutely should not go to court alone. His office needs to give you a better explanation than this.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  2. JaPaula C Kemp

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You need to contact your lawyers office to see if he has arranged for someone to stand in for him or if the case will be reset for sentencing. Hopefully there is someone in his office to advise/assist you.

Related Topics

Crime classifications

The two main classifications of crime are felony and misdemeanor. The classification of the crime effects the punishment, and it is determined by its severity.

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,915 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,915 answers this week

2,771 attorneys answering