Skip to main content

What do I do when I feel my work environment is hostile?

Jonesboro, GA |

I can never seem to get a manager or a supervisor to address issues I have within in the dept. Most recently, I had to visit the HR dept about my job performance and why I could not communicate with my manager/supervisor about it. I even told her about how my team leader 'retaliated' against me for questioning a decision that was made about my work. I also, had to visit the urgent care center for a possible job-related injury to my hand. Neither supervisor or manager has yet to approach me and I will be visiting the physician for a third time with pt therapy because there is still swelling in my hand. I believed I could continue to work as normal but at a slower pace. So the dr. released me to go back to work on regular duty. Are any of my rights being violated as an employee?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Claims of hostile work environment, retaliation, and discrimination, etc., are highly fact-sensitive situations that require more facts than can be reasonably supplied here. I would suggest you consult with an Employment attorney in your area to discuss your situation and legal options. Many attorneys who deal with these sorts of claims do offer free or low-cost initial consultations.

Good luck.

For informational purposes only and not to be relied upon as legal advice or for the formation of an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks. I will definitely consider it.


Your e-mail is very common in that it misconstrues the legal meaning of the phrase "hostile work environment." The federal anti-discrimination laws are not a general civility code. Rather, they are designed to protect individuals from discrimination and severe or pervasive harassment because of a protected characteristic like race, gender, age, national origin, religion, or disability. Your email does not describe any harassment on the basis of a protected characteristic, and without such evidence, there is no claim for a "hostile work environment." That said, you may want to consider consulting with a Workers' Compensation lawyer about your hand. I recommend you call Alex Wallach in Forest Park, GA.

This post is for marketing and informational purposes only. It is not intended to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with the reader.



I expected to be told that my post was not a sufficient claim for working in a "hostile environment". This forum doesn't necessarily allow a long dragged out story. Here is what I failed to mentioned and why I feel I work in a "hostile environment": 1. I have made several attempts in writing address issues within in the dept to both the manager and the supervisor. Neither have/will reply either verbally or written. 2. I have seen projects delegated to new employees that lacked training and skills over me. 3. I have not even been approached my direct supervisor or manager about my 'injury' in which Human Resources is aware and has sent me to the urgent care for treatment. 3. I have written 'proof' that a team leader 'retaliated' against me for questioning the validity of his claim that my work was insufficient. Does any of this help? It is quite noticeable to at least one other coworker that I am being 'ignored' on all levels. However, my complaint to HR has yet to be addressed and I'm still awaiting on the outcome.



*1. addressing issues within the dept. *2. delegated to a new employee *3. by my direct... *4. Should be #4 not #3 twice. ...against me AFTER I questioned...



Also, I am fully aware that bad management is not against the law however, how can I perform my work duties under these circumstances? Furthermore, I am aware this is an 'at-will' state and I can take it or leave. Being hearing impaired, doesn't afford me a lot of job opportunities, so this makes my decision to seek other employment quite difficult even after been employed here for over 5 years.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer