What do I do when an attorney does not respond to calls and hasn't delivered the will or estate doc?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Issaquah, WA

A friend and her husband paid an attorney to do a will, advanced directive and other estate planning. The husband has a terminal illness and is now going through the death with dignity process but they never received the will. The attorney has not returned numerous phone calls, and they don't know what to do now. Please help.

1. Elin Marie Daniel

Answered . I would recommend that they send a letter to the attorney asking where the documents are and telling the attorney they will file a complaint if they don't get the documents or a full refund within a week. Hopefully that will be enough to get the attorney's attention. If not, they will at least have something to show the state bar. They also may want to start shopping around for another in case the first attorney never comes through.

2. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

Answered . Sounds like they need to go to a new attorney ASAP to get these documents and then complain to the state bar in the hopes that the state bar will direct an inquiry at the unresponsive attorney who will hopefully refund their money.