What do I do when a shop severely overcharges me and I can't afford to get my car back from them?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Duluth, MN

I was quoted $6500 originally to have work done on my car, need the motor rebuilt ect. When I was going to pick my car up they told me it was now $9500 and they charged me over $700 to weld part of my exhaust and over $600 to diagnose a problem with something they installed incorrectly. I had the $6500 but not almost $10000 and they won't give me my car back. What do I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Adam William Klotz

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Minnesota law states the shop's final price cannot exceed its written estimate by more than ten percent without the prior authorization of the customer. If this occurred, you should pay the shop the agreed to amount, plus 10% and demand your car back. Make sure you document your payment and demand. If thereafter the shop does not agree to return your property, then you should contact an attorney. Minnesota law requires the shop to pay your attorney's fees, compensatory damages, and punitive damages not to exceed three times the total bill. Also, it allows for you to go after the shop for fraud, misrepresentation, and/or deceptive trade practices. In other words, the shop has incentive to comply with your demand, but if they do not, then you should absolutely contact an attorney.

    Adam W. Klotz
    FREE CONSULTATIONS- 612.223.6767 ext. 3

    The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,295 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,295 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering