Skip to main content

What do I do to get it so my 3 year old stays with me in a pcs move from Washington state to Colorado.

Spokane, WA |

My husband just got PCS orders from Washington to Colorado. I have a 3 year old by another man and his new wife is loving the "mommy" card so SHE pick is up the child half way every other weekend. They are always late picking up and dropping off the child come home mean and saying nasty things. They are also behind in child support.

What can I do to make sure the child stays with us in the move?

Attorney Answers 2


If there is a parenting plan in Wa. State and you are designated as the primary custodial parent, you must serve and file a Notice of Intended relocation on the Father 60 days prior to any move. He then has the opportunity to object to the move and file a Petition to modify the parenting plan. Failure to adhere to the relocation statute may subject you to a motion for contempt and a court order to return the child to Wa. state if you leave the state without following the Statute.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Make sure you file a notice of intended relocation well before you move. You might talk to an attorney to make sure you do it correctly.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics