Skip to main content

What do I do to get custody of my nephews who have lived with me for almost 3 years with no support from either parent?

Florence, AZ |

My sister left the children with me because nephew got in trouble. It was only suppose to be for a couple months. The father won't take them because of new wife. My sister gets child support but hasn't given any support to me for the kids. The father won't stop the child support. Don't know what to do.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. In Arizona, if there is no parent who is willing and able to parent their children, then it may grounds and be proper to file a dependency petition and start a dependency proceeding in juvenile court depending on the facts of your situation. If a dependency petition is filed, then there is the possibility of getting financial assistance as well as services for the children through the State of Arizona and Child Protective Services (CPS). In order to fully assess your particular situation, I suggest that you contact an attorney in Arizona who specializes in juvenile law and is familiar with the process of dependency law and CPS to discuss your best course of action given your circumstances.

  2. You might want your specific situation reviewed offline by a local lawyer . You can find one on AVVO using the Find a Lawyer tab. You haven't provided many facts here, so it's not possible to say

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics