What do I do to get a bond reduction?

Asked over 1 year ago - Garner, NC

My friend has been locked up since jan. 2012 and has not had the chance to get a bond reduction. His bond is set at 500,000 and he was appointed a court appointed lawyer, who has only seen him 1 time in the 17 mths. She hasnt got him a motion of discovery but try to to get him to take a plea and he dont even know what they are trying to use against him. I really need some help because we feel like we are having to do this ourselves even though he as an attorney. Please help!!!!

1. Ernest Clarke Dummit

Answered . There is not much help we can offer here other than to advise you to speak to his attorney. You cannot practice law, and he has an attorney who needs to file for the Bond Reduction Hearing. Take the time to speak to his attorney, or write to her. there may be some miscommunication.
    Best wishes.

2. Daniel Micah Blau

Pro

Answered . The best possible thing for him to do would be for him to get a different lawyer (in other words, to hire his own lawyer). If his bond is that high, he's obviously charged with a very serious offense; and, if his lawyer isn't properly communicating with him, he needs to do whatever he can to make a change. A lawyer can always file a motion for a bond reduction, or ask for his case to be calendared for a hearing on the bond issue. As for the discovery, the attorney certainly should have all the discovery by this point, and should have shared it with your friend. Unfortunately, there's not much you - as his friend - can do to try to get his lawyer more involved. The lawyer probably won't speak with you about the case because you're not her client. All you can do is help him find another lawyer.

I practice here in Wake County and would be happy to speak with you more about the case; please see my profile for contact information.