What do I do next? The CA Bar Association can't help me as they disbarred this attorney in 2012.

Asked over 1 year ago - Pueblo, CO

A CA attorney who specialized in debt "settlement" took my 28 months of payments, used my client trust account for his use and my "settlement" accounts are unsettled and he won't "settle" or return my money. Where do I go from here? Do I need an attorney? I am in Pueblo, CO.

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

9

1

Answered . You can file a lawsuit against the attorney and seek return of the money that you paid. Depending on how financially stable the attorney and his company are, it may be difficult to get your money back, but you do have grounds to pursue a judgment. You should also report him and his organization to the Colorado Attorney General's office. If they get enough complaints from Colorado residents they may pursue action to punish him.

2. E Dwight Taylor

Answered . The CA Bar Association probably lacks the power to disbar a lawyer. That power usually resides with the Supreme Court of the state. I would contact the CA Supreme Court...or whatever they call that court in CA. There may also be an attorney regulation cousnsel in CA like here in CO, but I would go directly to the supreme court. There also may be a compensation fund for wronged clients. Good luck!