What do I do next? The CA Bar Association can't help me as they disbarred this attorney in 2012.

Pueblo, CO |

A CA attorney who specialized in debt "settlement" took my 28 months of payments, used my client trust account for his use and my "settlement" accounts are unsettled and he won't "settle" or return my money. Where do I go from here? Do I need an attorney? I am in Pueblo, CO.

You can file a lawsuit against the attorney and seek return of the money that you paid. Depending on how financially stable the attorney and his company are, it may be difficult to get your money back, but you do have grounds to pursue a judgment. You should also report him and his organization to the Colorado Attorney General's office. If they get enough complaints from Colorado residents they may pursue action to punish him.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

The CA Bar Association probably lacks the power to disbar a lawyer. That power usually resides with the Supreme Court of the state. I would contact the CA Supreme Court...or whatever they call that court in CA. There may also be an attorney regulation cousnsel in CA like here in CO, but I would go directly to the supreme court. There also may be a compensation fund for wronged clients. Good luck!

This general response is not intended to be legal advice because I don't have all the facts. The particular facts in each instance will change the recommendation significantly. Any statements made in your posting on Avvo are not protected by the attorney-client privilege because they are shared with third parties. I require a written contract for legal services, so an attorney-client relationship may not be presumed merely by my response to an Avvo posting.