What Do I do My car was stolen and they got on a high speed chase and ran and the cops think it was me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Salinas, CA

Today I woke up from my nap to find my car was stolen. The car is in a friends name so he makes the police report. The cops show up at his house then my moms house looking for me because whoever stole my car went on a high speed chase and the detective told my mom he identified me as the fleer and that they found a bunch of drugs in the car. Now I am scared because my probation is violated because I moved from my moms house and don't live there anymore but i haven't updated my adress and they think I ran from them and I had all these drugs in the car. I don't know what to do because I just opened up a security company and if I even go talk to the cops ill get arrested and I'm on 4 years joint suspension so even with the violation I'm doing 4 yeaes

The next day I spoke to my probation officer and told her the situation and she asked if I reported the car stolen and I told her that I had the owner of the car report it and she just said if anything changes over the weekend to give her a call. Also I purchased legal shield and spoke to an attorney friday but they can't contact the police for me until monday or tuesday when my membership finalizes. Can the police really charge me with this even though it wasn't me?

Pro

17

1

Best Answer

Answered . Police routinely lie and say that they identified the driver as a specific person as a tool to identifying the unsub. You would want to retain a local criminal lawyer who can contact the police.

2. Antonios Kalogerakos

18

1

Answered . Contact a criminal attorney ASAP....it doesn't mean you're guilty for contacting him....you're just seeking advice on how to proceed, etc.

3. Matthew C Simon

Pro

17

1

Answered . You need to seek a local criminal defense attorney immediately. Do not talk to the police or give any written or oral statements. Good luck.

4. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

Pro

13

1

Answered . First, do not post any more facts regarding this on AVVO because a high speed chase may be identifiable in your area. Second, with a suspended prison term of four years hanging over your head you need to speak to an attorney tomorrow even if it means closing the office. In these early stages an attorney can be critical and you are still out of custody with access to funds to hire one, if that is the case. You raise some important issues for your defense and it sounds like you have a lot on the line. Good luck.

www.losangelesdefenders.com

5. David Lee Fiol

11

Answered . You can and should resubmit this question in the criminal law category. I will try reclassifying it, but it may not work.

6. Richard Franklin Taub

Pro

11

Answered . You would have to be touched in the head not to now to retain an attorney. Your freedom abd likely your career dependa upon your success. www.taubcriminaldefense.com

7. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

10

1

Answered . These issues are typically resolved in your favor if you remain silent and retain an attorney to represent you. By retaining an attorney, you are calling off the dogs. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest meeting with at least one soon since contacting an attorney early your attorney has an opportunity to confer with the law enforcement early in the process which increases your odds in having the case rejected.

8. Steven Mark Sweat

10

Answered . Retain a criminal defense attorney.

9. Richard H. Wooster

9

Answered . What's the name of your security firm, Friendly Felons Security? You need to hire an attorney to speak for you. Send an update of your address to your probation officer. Invoke your fifth amendment privilege and work this out with your attorney. You may not be charged with anything. They have to prove you were the one driving the car.