What do I do in the case of semi private lot owner knowingly selling me a car with a lien?

Deltona, FL |

I bought a car a few months ago from an as is car lot, except this particular car was from his private collection (more than likely his old one) but also as is. He told me there were absolutely no problems with the car besides a dent & the title was clean. He simply took my cash & signed the title over to me. There were numerous things wrong both under the hood, and externally. I wound up fixing everything & went to get the car registered, but alas, i was told the car had lien! I had absolutely no idea, because he said everything was on the up & up. I've since moved but went back to the dealer to get things situated but he is no longer there & i have no way to find him or the original lien holder. Can i sue? Who do i get to handle this? What next? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can sue.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

Sounds like fraud to me. You need to make sure you have copies of all papers relating to the deal and see a competent consumer lawyer immediately for advice. You should be able to find one in your area through the following link.