What do I do in the case of semi private lot owner knowingly selling me a car with a lien?

Asked about 2 years ago - Deltona, FL

I bought a car a few months ago from an as is car lot, except this particular car was from his private collection (more than likely his old one) but also as is. He told me there were absolutely no problems with the car besides a dent & the title was clean. He simply took my cash & signed the title over to me. There were numerous things wrong both under the hood, and externally. I wound up fixing everything & went to get the car registered, but alas, i was told the car had lien! I had absolutely no idea, because he said everything was on the up & up. I've since moved but went back to the dealer to get things situated but he is no longer there & i have no way to find him or the original lien holder. Can i sue? Who do i get to handle this? What next? Thanks in advance.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David Jule Gruskin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Sounds like fraud to me. You need to make sure you have copies of all papers relating to the deal and see a competent consumer lawyer immediately for advice. You should be able to find one in your area through the following link.

  2. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes, you can sue.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for fraud

Fraud is a white collar crime in which someone deceives another to secure unlawful or unfair benefits, such as financial or political gain.

Paula Jo Pierce

Tips for Avoiding Phishing Scams

Phishing is a way for scammers to trick you into giving them your personal information. Victims of phishing scams have had their bank accounts raided, their credit cards used without their... more

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,494 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,494 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering