What do I do if there is a warrant for my arrest?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Austin, TX

A detective contacted me via email to tell me that someone pressed charges against me. I now find out that I have a warrant. My bail is set at $5000. I want to turn myself in but I need to work a few more weeks so that I can pay a lawyer and the bond. I have no prior criminal record. The crime is fraud below $5000. The warrant hasn't been issued in person but I'm scared the police will arrest me before I'm prepared. I am very scared and not sure how to proceed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Paul Holt Walcutt

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . A fraud can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the amount of money the victim alleges they are out. Without more information, I don't believe anyone can tell you what level of charge this is, but there are online warrant search applications for both APD and the Travis County Sheriff, so this information is readily available. I have included those links below.

    If your case is in Travis County, you should speak to a local lawyer ASAP about doing what is called a walk-through. Basically, a lawyer may be able to get a personal bond signed by a judge before you turn yourself in, allowing you to "walk through" a shortened booking and bonding process instead of sitting in the jail for up to 24 hours. You save yourself the surprise and embarrassment of being arrested at your home or workplace while taking care of the warrant hanging over your head. Keep in mind that the warrant can be served at any time so you need to act soon if you want to pursue this option.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Jesse Hernandez

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . In addition to the wise advice offered already, if you have to choose between hiring a criminal defense attorney or a bailbondsman, hire the criminal defense attorney. An experienced attorney in your county can work on trying to get a PR bond or a bond reduction if a PR bond is unavailable. The attorney can also begin work on your case that may possibly result in a reduced charge or dissmissal before you ever even have to go to court. By hiring your own attorney instead of depending on a court appointed one, you get to choose who's hands your future is entrusted to and who you have to trust and deal with in this very important time.

  3. Carlos Gonzalez


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Hire yourself an attorney ASAP, if you can not afford to do so i would suggest considering turning yourself in on the warrant as generally any voluntary return on warrants usually results in more favorable treatment before a judge on your court appearance

  4. Howard Woodley Bailey


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with the assessments and suggestions of my colleague, and suggest that while you are working out the financial arrangements, that you at least consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer licensed in your State to determine what the potential legal issues and defenses can be. Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER I do not practice law in your State. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,464 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,464 answers this week

2,941 attorneys answering