What do I do if the people I'm buying my home off of are not paying the property taxes as agreed?

East Syracuse, NY |

I make my monthly payments every month. It is written in my agreement that my payments include the taxes. The people I'm buying the house from are deliberately not paying the taxes. Will I lose my home because they are not paying?

1. Your question is missing some facts that would help answer this. I gather from what you have said here that your bought the home from the seller with the seller financing the deal instead of taking out a traditional mortgage. I am also assuming that they took back a purchase money mortgage to secure payment from you and that they are requiring you to escrow taxes with them as part of your payment. If that is the case then they are obligated to remit the taxes on your behalf. If they are not paying the taxes you could end up with a tax lien which could eventually be sold and you could eventually lose the house. I would hire an attorney immediately, start paying all future taxes directly to the receiver of taxes, get a record of all past due unpaid tax pay it and deduct the amounts from the principal balance due the seller. If you are in a possition to refinance the house and there is no prepayment penalty then refinance and pay off the seller. They are responsible for unpaid taxes that you paid them and all penalties and interest that has accrued as a result. You should hire an attorney immediately as they are in effect stealing from you and exposing you to penalties, interest and loss of your property.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

2. If seller not current on his/her Real Estate Taxes prior to the transfer of DEED:
    Unless there has been a Tax lien sale prior to your closing, your Title Company can collect the outstanding Taxes/Penalties from your seller and pay them to the City/County. If you have any questions, please visit us at www.Lawyer4Real Estate.com or call my office at 718-375-3300.

The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely depending on the specific facts of each matter. Due to the changing nature of laws, rules, and regulations and the possible delay of updating the website there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in the information contained herein. Nothing contained herein should be construed as legal opinion or advice, nor create an attorney-client relationship, No electronic communication with our office on its own will generate an attorney-client relationship or be considered attorney-client privileged communication. The Law Offices of Stein & Associates and all contributors, and external links provided, disclaim responsibility for any damages that may result from any error, inaccuracy, or omission contained herein. No electronic communicationns with Law Offices of Stein & Associates will obligate us to respond.