Skip to main content

What do I do if the other person's insurance company keeps contacting me and I'm not done with treatments?

Orlando, FL |

I was involved in a 3 way car wreck 3 months ago. The person who hit me from behind recieved a ticket and is partially responsible for the accident. Their insurance company contacted me and asked for a statement, which I gave, and I was told they had compensation for me. I told them I didn't want to meet with them at this time since I am still being treated for a bulging disc injury resulting from the accident. Since then, they keep calling me and even showed up at my house and left a letter saying they needed to get in touch with me. They also said they need my permission to continue the claim that my insurance company has filed with them for part of the expenses. I want to stay out of it. Are they harassing me or do they really need my permission?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


You need to hire a lawyer.


You should contact an experienced and well-qualified Plaintiff's personal injury lawyer for a free consultation. There are many issues that will need to be addressed.

The above is general advice regarding applicable state law. It does not create an attorney-client relationship in any specific case.


You should consult with a personal injury attorney. I would advise against speaking with them or signing anything from the other person's insurance company until you speak with an attorney. Typically, in cases like this, a person that is represented will get a better settlement than someone who does not have an attorney.


Insurance carriers will do and say about anything they can to build evidence against you and try to pay you off as soon as possible. I agree with my colleagues who say to hire a lawyer. A bulge could be surgical down the road and we recently got a 7-figure verdict on a case that the defendant tried to claim was "just a bulge."

Feel free to call or email me, directly, with any questions-

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. We also answer your questions on facebook-, on twitter- @athleticslawyer and our radio show, Courts & Sports, on WOKV. Please like or follow us. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at


You need to retain an attorney immediately. He or she will contact the insurance company and tell them to stop calling you directly and will be an intermediary for you. They can also assist you in finding good medical treatment (like a good nuerosurgeon) to determine the extent of your injuries, the cost of future medical treatment and the overall value of your case and present this to the insurance company in a way that will maximize your recovery. With a "bulging disc" injury, you very may require surgery or some other type of significant treatment (such as "trigger point" injections) to correct the problem. This is a serious injury and you should not attempt to represent yourself.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.


Why not hire a lawyer of your choice to help you with all of it? You won't have to upfront any monies to pay the lawyer. It is advisable not to give the other insurance company a statement unless your lawyer has reviewed it.
I would not continue the process on my own (unless you are planning not to file any type of claim of course).
Once you hire a lawyer, they will harass the lawyer and not you.

Alejandro R. Lopez, Esq.
Law Office of Alejandro R. Lopez, P.A.
4465 Edgewater Dr.,
Suite A
Orlando, Fla. 32804
Ph.: (407) 649-1404


As a personal injury lawyer with 26 years of experience, I am STRONGLY advising you to be very careful about talking with the at fault person’s insurance company. They will lie about wanting to help you. What they really want is to get as much information as they can before you hire a lawyer. Understand, they have ways of getting you to say things that can be twisted in their favor. If you were hurt at least SPEAK WITH A QUALIFIED LAWYER in your area and I am not talking about the TV advertising lawyers. There are many good lawyers in your area and throughout the state. Good luck.

This answer is a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Jonathan Groff’s practice is devoted to all aspects of personal injury litigation throughout Florida. He has a “10.0 Superb” rating from AVVO and is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell. However, this reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raise then I have set out in my brief reply. Further, unless your matter concerns Florida law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.

Lawrence Joseph Marraffino

Lawrence Joseph Marraffino


Kudos to Mr. Groff for having the courage to mention to avoid TV lawyers!


You need to hire a lawyer otherwise the insurance company WILL take adavantage of you. Any money you think you are saving by not hiring a lawyer will be lost in the lower settlement you will receive. Insurance adjuseters will blatantly lie to you. They are no better than debt collectors in this regard when they are dealing with an unrepresented person. You are swimming in shark infested waters. I am a Florida Bar Civil Trial Lawyer with 28 years experience and former insurance company lawyer. I KNOW how insurance companies operate. Please hire a lawyer.

Lawrence J. Marraffino-Accident Lawyer/Attorney

This answer cannot be a substitute for legal advice which requires more information from the client than can be obtained in this forum. Therefore this answer CANNOT BE RELIED UPON AS LEGAL ADVICE FROM THIS ATTORNEY.


All good advice from the other attorneys. To answer your question directly, they are harassing you, but I am not sure you can do anything but ignore it. And no, they do not need your permission for anything, except maybe to get you to sign a release for an unreasonable low settlement. Don't ever again give a statement to any insurance company after an auto accident, without first being represented by an experienced auto accident attorney.

Please do not consider this legal advice. The information is only a useful gauge for future consideration or activity on your part. By my definition, legal advice can only be had through a thorough in-person consultation with me, which would involve a detailed question and answer session.


Good advice from all who said you need to hire your own lawyer. You shouldn't have given a statement. It could come back to haunt you and you had no legal obligation to do so, particularly without the advice and presence of counsel. Do yourself a favor. Hire a good trial attorney with plenty of experience in automobile accident and insurance law.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer