Skip to main content

What do i do if neither me or the other driver had auto insurance? and I got the tickted.

Memphis, TN |

I was turning off a side street on to a busy intersection. I was making a left turn, there was a SUV making a right turn on to the street I was turning off. There was no cars as I could see in the center lane or in the left lane, so I proceeded to make my left turn, then just as i was turning a car ran into me on the driver sided. It damage both automobile the driver in the other car say she was hurt. The police gave me the ticket saying I cause the accident turning in front of the car, but like i said there was no car in either lane. My daughter was in the car with me she said she didn't that car either. I think the car was behind the suv that was turning and went quickly to the center lane.

Attorney Answers 4


The other driver will likely pursue a claim. You can retain a local car accident lawyer in your state to defend and argue the points you made above.

The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Brother counsel is correct...given the facts as you explain them, if the other driver was injured he/she very well may bring a claim against you. You should consider hiring local counsel to defend you.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You may also have a claim, talk to a local lawyer.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


The answer will ultimately depend on how the ticket is disposed of. If you contest the police version of the crash, then do not just pay the fine on the ticket. Go to traffic court, bring evidence, and try to get the ticket dismissed. There is a requirement that all drivers in Tennessee carry insurance. However, there is an older part of the law that requires that drivers who do not have insurance confirm they will be financially responsible for any damage they cause. It is part of the system that was in place before the mandatory insurance requirement was passed a few years ago, and this older system was left on the books. It could apply in your case. Forms and information are available through the Tennessee Department of Safety website (see link below). By taking proactive steps, you can go from a situation where you might face liability for the crash to one where you can not only avoid liability, but press the other driver to cover your losses.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics