What do I do if my lawyer will not release my settlement? Is there a statue of limitations for my settlement distribution

Chicago, IL |

We won our settlement July 2013. A portion has already been given to my mother back in June. I keep calling but they keep telling me they are waiting on a new adjustment letter from the insurance company.

There is no way to understand what happened here or why your mother and you are receiving money on a workers' compensation case. I'm not sure this is the correct category.

Talk to your lawyer. You have a right to know what is happening, be shown copies of checks, and be provided an update of proceedings.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Your lawyer needs to keep you better informed as Mr. Hoffman has suggested .

No attorney client relationship has been formed until you sign a representation agreement.

Are you talking about a workers compensation injury? Your question does not really give enough facts. As a general rule, you are entitled to information about what is going on. I would suggest, as has been advised, that you consult a local attorney, who can get all the facts and give you the best advice.

1.) If YOU were injured, YOU get the money, NOT your mother.
2.) It is NOT possible to "Win" a settlement. You win a judgment and you negotiate a settlement.
3.) How could any money be distributed BEFORE you won?
4.) If you are a minor and the amount of the settlement or judgment exceeds $10,000.00, the Probate Court requires that the money be placed in a bank on the condition that NO funds can be withdrawn before you turn 18, without the Court's permission.

Why haven't you asked your attorney?

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.