What do I do if my lawyer will not release my settlement? Is there a statue of limitations for my settlement distribution

Asked 3 months ago - Chicago, IL

We won our settlement July 2013. A portion has already been given to my mother back in June. I keep calling but they keep telling me they are waiting on a new adjustment letter from the insurance company.

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

10

Answered . There is no way to understand what happened here or why your mother and you are receiving money on a workers' compensation case. I'm not sure this is the correct category.

Talk to your lawyer. You have a right to know what is happening, be shown copies of checks, and be provided an update of proceedings.

2. Peter Daniel Corti

Pro

4

Answered . Your lawyer needs to keep you better informed as Mr. Hoffman has suggested .

No attorney client relationship has been formed until you sign a representation agreement.
  3. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

3

Answered . 1.) If YOU were injured, YOU get the money, NOT your mother.
    2.) It is NOT possible to "Win" a settlement. You win a judgment and you negotiate a settlement.
    3.) How could any money be distributed BEFORE you won?
    4.) If you are a minor and the amount of the settlement or judgment exceeds $10,000.00, the Probate Court requires that the money be placed in a bank on the condition that NO funds can be withdrawn before you turn 18, without the Court's permission.

Why haven't you asked your attorney?

4. Gilbert Earl Fisher

Pro

2

Answered . Are you talking about a workers compensation injury? Your question does not really give enough facts. As a general rule, you are entitled to information about what is going on. I would suggest, as has been advised, that you consult a local attorney, who can get all the facts and give you the best advice.