What do I do if my former employer refuses to give me a separation notice?

Asked over 1 year ago - Blue Ridge, GA

I was recently fired from my job because of failure to show Up for my shift. I attempted to get a message to my employer on several occasions to inform him of my absence but the person taking the messages failed to inform the employer that I had tried to contact him. My wife and I are trying to apply for food stamps and the department of human resources is requesting a separation notice but my employer refuses to give me one. What should I do?

1. Ainsworth G. Dudley Jr.

Answered . File an unemployment compnsation claim and your employer will have to file a separation notice. Also request one in writing from the HR department at your former place of work.

2. Dean Richard Fuchs

Answered . There is no good answer to this question. I agree with the former response that you should apply for unemployment insurance, in response to which most employers will (but not always) issue a separation notice. The GA Department of Labor has a rule which requires employers to issue a separation notice within 3 days of a separation, but the Rule has no penalty if an employer fails to comply with the Rule.