What do i do if my children live in another state with their father and grandparents and are being emotionally abused?

Columbus, OH |

My oldest daughter(10 yrs old) is being seen by a doctor for anxiety because she wants to live with me but her father wont let her.When they visit me.They want to tell me about all the things their grandmother wants them to believe.My children are being talked to about adult conversations.My oldest daughter is so stressed and cant sleep because she is being forced to lie about me and its tearing her up inside.My daughter has told me when she goes to see her doctor her grandmother coaches her and tells her what she can say.if anyone can please help me and any advice would be very helpful!Thanks

If you want your daughter to come live with you, you're going to have to file for a change of custody with the court. The court that originally had jurisdiction over the children retains that jurisdiction. However, if there has never been a case involving the children, then jurisdiction will most likely lie with the courts where the children are now. You should contact a family law attorney to discuss these issues.

The responses of Attorney Benjamin Partee to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-Client relationship. Attorney Partee is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Partee is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the asker.

Let your daughter know that she can ask that she be able to talk to the doctor in confidence. She does not need to have the Grandmother present during her session with the doctor. As noted by the other attorney, you need to file a motion for change of custody in the appropriate jurisdiction. You are not likely to prosecute this case properly on your own. You need professional assistance. Get together with several attorneys and go forward with one. It is likely that a Guardian ad Litem will be appointed to look into whether the children are being manipulated.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at:

Recommended articles about Personal injury