What do i do if my children live in another state with their father and grandparents and are being emotionally abused?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

My oldest daughter(10 yrs old) is being seen by a doctor for anxiety because she wants to live with me but her father wont let her.When they visit me.They want to tell me about all the things their grandmother wants them to believe.My children are being talked to about adult conversations.My oldest daughter is so stressed and cant sleep because she is being forced to lie about me and its tearing her up inside.My daughter has told me when she goes to see her doctor her grandmother coaches her and tells her what she can say.if anyone can please help me and any advice would be very helpful!Thanks

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Benjamin J Partee

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you want your daughter to come live with you, you're going to have to file for a change of custody with the court. The court that originally had jurisdiction over the children retains that jurisdiction. However, if there has never been a case involving the children, then jurisdiction will most likely lie with the courts where the children are now. You should contact a family law attorney to discuss these issues.


    The responses of Attorney Benjamin Partee to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-Client... more
  2. Brian Scott Piper

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Let your daughter know that she can ask that she be able to talk to the doctor in confidence. She does not need to have the Grandmother present during her session with the doctor. As noted by the other attorney, you need to file a motion for change of custody in the appropriate jurisdiction. You are not likely to prosecute this case properly on your own. You need professional assistance. Get together with several attorneys and go forward with one. It is likely that a Guardian ad Litem will be appointed to look into whether the children are being manipulated.

    IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an... more

Related Topics

Emotional distress caused by personal injury

Emotional distress refers to the negative mental effects an injury has, including fear, loss of sleep, depression, and other effects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,769 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,769 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering