Skip to main content

What do I do if I was not served for an upcoming child support hearing

San Diego, CA |


I got a call a couple of months ago from a DCSS attorney saying he was in court and was wondering if I was going to show up. I had not heard anything about the hearing; I was not served. He had it continued to a date coming up soon, but I still have not been served with the non-cusodial parties motion. What should I do? Is it likely I can have it continued again untill I am finally served?

Attorney Answers 1


If you know what the court date is, you should show up. You have not been properly served, however, if someone presents a proof of service, and orders are then made, it is complicated and expensive to set aside those orders.
When you show up, you can request that the matter be continued, and order the moving party to serve you.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics