What do I do if i think ive been reported for doctor shopping ?

Ocala, FL |

I went to my primary doctor yesterday and he pulled my prescription history and saw i had been seeing other doctors for the same medicine he was prescribing me. What do I do know? How do I find out if he reported me ?

1. Most states now prohibit doctor shopping, a good place to find what the rules are in each state is the Center for Disease Control (CDC) which has a good summary, see the link: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/Poisoning/laws/dr_shopping.html
    As you now know, as health care becomes more highly integrated, physicians are able to learn about your entire course of care, rather than just the course of care provided or ordered by them. This includes accessing multiple prescriptions for controlled drugs.

I would suggest that you see a local attorney who can best advise you on what you should do. In addition, since this is a crime, you want to avoid making any specific statements regarding your actions on websites such as this.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

2. Do not make further confessions on this public site. Consult with a criminal defense attorney. Make certain you see no other doctor than your primary or one your primary refers you to. Start attending AA/NA to address your addiction. Consider in- or out- patient drug counselling. Begin to wean yourself off the addictive drugs. Ask your doctor about alternate means of pain control. Win over your doctor.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.