Skip to main content

What do I do if I need an attorney but can't afford one?

Killeen, TX |

My ex-husband is taking me to court for custody. He has temporary orders right now. I need an attorney but can't afford one. I am disabled and I do not fall in the income guidelines for SSI because of my husbands income. We are in a financial hardship due to my ex-husband for not helping as he was ordered to in the previous child custody documents with my sons dental bills over these last 6 months. His dental (Braces for orthognathic surgery) work payments are on going even now that he has temporary custody. I am the only one paying, even as we speak.

Attorney Answers 3


You can try legal aid in your state (Google -'TX Legal Aid)' or contact any of the Texas lawschools near you and see if they will help you with your case.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


Look around for pro bono services, Texas has legal-aid options as well as reduced cost services such as City Square. However, lots of the legal aid and reduced cost services have strict qualification guidelines for their services. Also consider looking for an attorney that can work with you on a payment plan. Lots of attorneys will take a case with a down payment and a payment schedule.

Legal disclaimer: The response above does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the authors educated opinion.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


You probably will qualify for 'pro bono' services (free legal services) since you are on disability. If your ex was ordered to pay for dental bills, an attorney can file an Enforcement of that court order. Check with you county bar association to find out about the pro bono services in your county. Be sure to tell the attorney about the court order regarding the payments for the dental bills. Good luck.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney in your area regarding this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Pro bono representation topics

Recommended articles about Pro bono representation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics