What do I do if i'm not the beneficiary on my husband's life insurance policy?

Nashville, TN |

My husband and I was together over a decade and was only married for 3 mos before he suddenly passed. We didn't get a chance to change any policies or legal documents. I was pregnant in 1 state and he was working in another state getting ready for me to move after I gave birth. My minor stepson is beneficiary on his policies from years ago and I have 2 kids by my husband now. What can and should I do? Thanks

Attorney Koslyn is correct in that you cannot retroactively change your husband's insurance policy beneficiary.

Did your husband leave a will? If so, you will want to reference the will to see if he left you a share of his estate.

Depending on your situation, there also the possibility that you could be entitled to a share of his estate under Tennessee law, regardless of the will.

Your best bet would be to contact an attorney in Nashville and tell him/her all of the facts and circumstances surrounding your situation. Your options will depend on the facts.

I hope that helps!

2. You can't retroactively change his life insurance policy.

Did he die without a will? Did he leave an estate? The kids that you had together should be entitled to something.

See a local estate lawyer for help to discuss the situation.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Business topics