What do I do if I hit someone in a Walmart parking lot? About 3 days ago I hit someone's car.

Asked 7 months ago - Houston, TX

I was backing out of my spot when a woman in a red SUV stopped behind me to let her daughter in the car after she had gone into the store to buy a couple of things. I was already about 2 ft out of the space when she stopped right behind me. I waited for her to leave and I checked all of my mirrors to back up again. I was barely starting to back up when I suddenly felt that I hit someone. I didn't see him! The way that I was reversing made it almost impossible for my mirrors to catch him behind me. I'm sure he must've noticed that I was already baking out. we agreed to settle without insurance. I gave him my information but I only got his number. I was so nervous I forgot to take pictures. I've been trying to reach him but he won't answer. I'm worried he will damage the car and blame me.

1. Daniel David Horowitz III

8

1

Answered . If you get notice of a claim notify your insurance company.

Pro

8

1

Answered . Turn it over to your insurance carrier to resolve

3. John L. Schroeder

8

1

Answered . Report it to your insurance and don't try to contact him anymore.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

8

1

Answered . Report it to your insurance company NOW. It may be a set up.

5. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

7

1

Answered . You should report this to your insurance company and let them handle it.

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . You should immediately pick up the phone and contact your insurance company and advise them of this incident. Provide them with whatever information you have. Failure to involve your insurance company now may potentially void your coverage should you be sued 2 or 3 years down the road. Your company needs to be aware of the incident and given an opportunity to investigate the matter. Let your insurance company handle it. That is why you pay them a premium.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  7. Jonathan Read Peirce

2

Answered . You need to report this to your insurance company. He probably is reporting it to his insurance company, who will then contact you. It is better to be proactive and document your own efforts at doing the right thing. Don't kick yourself for failing to take pictures - most people forget to take pictures when the adrenaline gets pumping.