What do I do if I have been wrongly accused of a hit and run?

Asked 6 months ago - Perrysburg, OH

The car falsely accused stalled out and was parked on the side of the highway. After trying to flag down many drivers and being unsuccessful, a police officer stopped and took the driver home stating that the driver would have a full 24 hours before having to move the vehicle from the highway.
The driver went to work the next morning expecting to jump the car or get it towed but upon arrival noticed that the 24 hours wasn't given and the car had been taken to the police impound.
The impound lot stated that the car was involved in a "hit skip" and the owner of the vehicle would have to talk to the detective leading the case.
It has been several days with many attempts to talk to the detective and involved police officers with no luck and the impound won't release the vehicle.

Pro

2

Answered . Whenever anyone is involved in a situation in which criminal charges can or will be made against them, and whenever anyone's liberty is at stake, a local criminal lawyer should be retained.

2. David A. Papa

1

1

Answered . Ok So if they are claiming it is a hit and run-the owner must report it to his Insurance Company--I would also, get on the AVVO "Find a Lawyer" tool bar and select a criminal defense attorney who handles traffic citations.

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . Your facts are unclear. But try consulting with a criminal defense attorney.

4. Jeffrey P. Lowenthal

Pro

Answered . Report this to your insurance company. Then retain an attorney who handles these kinds of cases.