What do I do if I found out my lawyer gave me advise or suggested something that was illegal, I didn't know i because trusted?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

if I have legal ranifications from the advise lawyer and assistant gave me, what do I do to protect myself. I was told to keep checking spouses emails for info to use in divorce and custody battle, and give it to them. I now find out that wasn't so ethical even though I had passwords and used to regularly check emails etc. how to protect myself? I have new lawyer who told me it wasn't a good idea. I was surprised. spouse now knows.

should I turn him into someone to cover myself? report it? to whom if so? or just wait to see what happens?

1. Jay Bodzin

1

2

Answered . It really depends on what you mean by 'illegal.' If you believe that you may have broken the law, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney - in private, and obviously someone unconnected with your previous lawyer. Sometimes, ignorance can be a defense. Also, if you were advised to break the law by your previous lawyer, they may be liable for any costs you incur as a result, including attorney fees you have to spend to deal with it. You should keep careful documentation of everything this lawyer told you, to demonstrate that you were acting under their advice. (I personally think that lawyers should never give advice over the telephone. Or, if they must do, they should follow up each conversation with a letter summarizing it. This protects everyone. It's a lot harder if the advice you got from this lawyer was purely verbal.)