Skip to main content

What do I do if I forgot to turn in my I-94 upon leaving the US 12 years ago and now want to apply for a non immigrant Visa?

Franklin, TN |
Filed under: US visas

I left the US almost 12 years ago and forgot to turn in my I-94. I now want to apply for a non immigrant B2 Visa and need advice on what to do and if it will affect me in the issuing of a new visa.
- Do I need to do anything or notify any Immigration entity prior to soliciting a new visa 12 years later? Will the consulate have any record of my departure?

- Note: I have proof of my flight 12 years ago - Old ticket

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It can be resolved. Please talk to an immigration attorney experienced in this issue.
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

  2. You prove that you left the US timely.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Hopefully you also have an entry stamp in your passport of the country you entered after your U.S. departure you support your claim.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics