Skip to main content

What do I do if I filed an ex parte restraining order on someone but they filed a motion to terminate less than 2 weeks later?

Grand Haven, MI |

I received a letter from the County Clerks office stating that I am to appear in court on Oct. 8th because the respondent has filed to terminate the restraining order that I placed on her 2 weeks ago. This woman is incredibly dangerous and abusive (my mother) and I have had very limited contact with her in the past 6 years. I have tried to stay off her radar but this last time that she found me I tried to stand up for myself by taking a restraining order out on her. What do I need to bring with me to prepare for this hearing? It is basically going to be her word against mine no matter what.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


generally if a person files a motion to terminate the ex parte ppo, there will be a motion hearing within 14 days of filing the objection where the judge would decide whether to hold a further hearing on whether the PPO should be terminated or modified


First the other attorney stated.. it is generally standard procedure to set a hearing.. if there is a dispute..

Second.. if you really have had limited contact with her.. why did you file the PPO??? be ready to answer that question..

Also.. I would generally take someone with you to act as a witness to her actions in and around the court house ... she will probably be abusive in the courthouse..

finally if you can afford an attorney .. get one..

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer