What do I do if I filed an ex parte restraining order on someone but they filed a motion to terminate less than 2 weeks later?

Asked about 2 years ago - Grand Haven, MI

I received a letter from the County Clerks office stating that I am to appear in court on Oct. 8th because the respondent has filed to terminate the restraining order that I placed on her 2 weeks ago. This woman is incredibly dangerous and abusive (my mother) and I have had very limited contact with her in the past 6 years. I have tried to stay off her radar but this last time that she found me I tried to stand up for myself by taking a restraining order out on her. What do I need to bring with me to prepare for this hearing? It is basically going to be her word against mine no matter what.

1. Francesco Libonio Briguglio

1

Answered . generally if a person files a motion to terminate the ex parte ppo, there will be a motion hearing within 14 days of filing the objection where the judge would decide whether to hold a further hearing on whether the PPO should be terminated or modified

2. James T. Weiner

Answered . First ..as the other attorney stated.. it is generally standard procedure to set a hearing.. if there is a dispute..

Second.. if you really have had limited contact with her.. why did you file the PPO??? be ready to answer that question..

Also.. I would generally take someone with you to act as a witness to her actions in and around the court house ... she will probably be abusive in the courthouse..

finally if you can afford an attorney .. get one..