What do I do if I cant pay a red light ticket???!?

Asked over 4 years ago - Pasadena, CA

I got a red light ticket from one of those red light cameras. While I do realize I was in the wrong, there is absolutely NO WAY I can pay $446!! I make about 470 a every two weeks and am a student with medical bills to pay. I don't know what to do! I can't even pay part of that! They gave me less than two months to pay it. This is in the city of pasadena, ca.

1. David Michael Lehr

Pro

Answered . A court cannot send you to jail for not paying a traffic ticket. Make some small payment each month and go back to court before the deadline and ask for more time. Also ask if you can do community service.
    Good Luck

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

Answered . You have some options:

1. You can fight the ticket. Red light tickets have certain requirements before they can be validly enforced. For example, if they can't identify you in the photo, you may get the case dismissed completely.

2. You can go to traffic school. Of course, that requires posting the entire amount PLUS the cost of traffic school.

3. You can go to court and see if the court will lower the fine. Either they will or they won't, but at least you can see about converting your fine to community service and/or getting a realistic payment plan with the court. They can take very little a month, as long as you're paying it on time.

3. Robert Lee Marshall

Answered . As Mr. Dane points out, it can be very difficult for the prosecution to convict a person on a red light ticket. Check out the following website with some good information on fighting them.

www.highwayrobbery.net