What do I do if I cannot pay for my court ordered Battery Intervention Class?

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

I have completed half of my 24 week BIP class which is $50 per week. I cannot afford to pay this anymore, as I am paying rent, utilities, etc. and my girlfriend is about to have a baby. They called me today and said I am $100 in arrears and cannot attend the class until it is paid in full. What should I do?

1. William David Umansky

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . You are in danger of being violated and put into jail. I would take immediate proactive steps now to protect yourself. I would email and contact your counselor and explain that you are not willfully refusing to pay but cannot afford to pay for the classes. I would also do the same with the probation officer. If however you can get a family member or friend to lend you the money you are better served to do take care of the issue because you will really be in trouble if you are sitting in jail without a bond. I wish you the best of luck!

2. Amir A. Ladan

Pro

5

Answered . I suggest you pose that question to the counselor most familiar with you at the program you attend. Many programs have sliding scales and payment plans available that will allow you to continue with your counseling so you can ensure that you successfully complete the program. If you fail to complete BIP, you will be violated if you are on probation and could end up in jail. If your in BIP as part of a diversion program, you will be kicked out of the program and returned before the judge to face your charges. Either way, finding a way to pay the fees is much cheaper than the alternative.

3. Amber Hill

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. You need to do your best to get the money (legally of course) because if they kick you out of your BIP course, you will need to start the entire course over. You are also facing serious repercussions if your probation is violated.