Skip to main content

What do I do if I cannot pay for my court ordered Battery Intervention Class?

West Palm Beach, FL |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I have completed half of my 24 week BIP class which is $50 per week. I cannot afford to pay this anymore, as I am paying rent, utilities, etc. and my girlfriend is about to have a baby. They called me today and said I am $100 in arrears and cannot attend the class until it is paid in full. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are in danger of being violated and put into jail. I would take immediate proactive steps now to protect yourself. I would email and contact your counselor and explain that you are not willfully refusing to pay but cannot afford to pay for the classes. I would also do the same with the probation officer. If however you can get a family member or friend to lend you the money you are better served to do take care of the issue because you will really be in trouble if you are sitting in jail without a bond. I wish you the best of luck!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


I suggest you pose that question to the counselor most familiar with you at the program you attend. Many programs have sliding scales and payment plans available that will allow you to continue with your counseling so you can ensure that you successfully complete the program. If you fail to complete BIP, you will be violated if you are on probation and could end up in jail. If your in BIP as part of a diversion program, you will be kicked out of the program and returned before the judge to face your charges. Either way, finding a way to pay the fees is much cheaper than the alternative.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.


I agree with the other attorneys. You need to do your best to get the money (legally of course) because if they kick you out of your BIP course, you will need to start the entire course over. You are also facing serious repercussions if your probation is violated.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer