What do i do if an uninsured driver runs the red light and crashes in me?

Lake Worth, FL |

I was in a car accident about a week ago. As i was going through a green light, a driver ran his red light and crashed into me. My airbags deployed and i was rushed to the emergency room. I had been seeing numerous doctors since. I also saw a lawyer. I received the police report today and even though i am on the right side i am depressed as the other driver doesn't have car insurance. I am without a car at the moment and extra saddened to learn from the lawyers that there is nothing they can do. Since the other driver doesn't have insurance. Confused! What do i do?

1. Contact another lawyer in your area for a second opinion. Assuming you have insurance coverage you may have uninsured motorist coverage with your carrier. The policy will dictate whether you have that coverage. Search for a lawyer right here on AVVO to contact for a consultation about your situation. Good luck.

I am not your lawyer and an answer on AVVO is not intended as legal advice but is provided for general informational purposes only. If you desire legal advice, please consult a lawyer and form an attorney client relationship.

2. You need to check your insurance policy to see if you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If your insurance company says you don't they must produce a document called a selection rejection form signed by you refusing the coverage. Unless you do not have bodily injury coverage

3. Unfortunately, if you did not purchase uninsured motorist (UM) coverage there's nothing you can do. Florida only requires drivers to maintain 10k in PIP (for their medical bills) & 10k in property damage.

Most states require drivers to have mandatory Bodily Injury (BI) coverage however Florida has not followed suit to the detriment of people such as yourself.

4. I agree with the responding attorneys. You may want to use the "Find a Lawyer" feature here on Avvo to solicit a second a opinion regarding your case. I hope you found my response helpful.

5. If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your own policy, you could submit the claim to them.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

6. First I hope that you feel better and you get the appropriate medical attention immediately. As I'm sure other attorneys will agree on the site you have an opportunity to potentially pursue uninsured motorist claims against your carrier. In addition just because the driver that hit you may not have insurance the owner of the vehicle or someone else may still also have insurance that could be responsible. The most important thing to do is to contact a personal-injury attorney locally that can help you and guide you in this particular situation. I would be happy to talk to you in detail about your case. Please feel free to visit my website or call me and I'll speak with you personally. www.InCourt.com Best of luck hopefully I'll speak to you soon and feel better.

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Shiner is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Shiner strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. To learn more about David I. Shiner or the Shiner Law Group, P.A. please call our office at (561) 368-3363 or toll free at 1 (855) 368-3363 or visit website at www.ShinerLawGroup.com or www.InCourt.com

7. If you were smart, you should have UM coverage, and the lawyer will go after that money.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

8. Your lawyer should explore whether or not you have any uninsured motorist coverage available from your car insurance or on the insurance of any resident relatives in your household. In Florida, especially, it is important for you to carry uninsured motorist coverage.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.