What do I do after my attorney fired me as his client ?

Seattle, WA |

I asked tuff questions to my attorney... Then he fires me but writes a letter saying I fired him.. Not true at all.. And he put a lien on my judgment is that legal??

1. What kind of case is it and do you have a judgment? Or do you mean a future settlement or verdict?

2. What does your retainer letter say? Are you a client that paid the attorney fees and disbursements and provided a retainer, or a contingency client who has paid nothing but where the attorney gets some percentage of a recovery. What reasons did the attorney give for firing you in the letter? When you say "tough questions", do you mean you were curious about the lawyer's strategy or that you had a big difference of opinion in major matters, like taking a settlement rather than going to trial? Is this lien to recover money you would owe him under your retainer agreement for out of pocket cost or work he's devoted to your case, or unpaid bills? All of these factors make a difference in how one would answer the question you've posed.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

3. If he fired you without good cause, the attorney would be entitled to costs, but not to a fee.

If you fired him he is entitled to costs and a reasonable fee for services rendered.

If work on the case was substantially completed he is entitled to costs and the full fee - as long as the fee is reasonable per the factors in ethics rules. These include the attorney's reputation and experience, the difficulty/novelty of the issues, what other attorney charges for similar services, etc.

This answer is based on limited information provided and is not a substitute for legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is created. To protect your interests it is best to seek a private consultation with an attorney.