What do i do about eviction notice

Chicago, IL |

I was given notice by sheriff to come to court case wasn't found landlord wasn't there judge threw out case now have order of possession on my door didn't get any notice about the new court date that took place what do i do

I agree. In certain situations you can vacate the previous court order, and get a chance to have your case heard in court. If you decide to file a motion to vacate, make sure you also leave a copy with the sheriff’s office. I strongly suggest you see an attorney asap, but in any case, do no wait. Please remember, Illinois is not a self-help state. The landlord must go thought the sheriff’s department to regain possession.

Bring all your papers to an attorney ASAP. Without seeing the papers, there is little we can do to help.

The court kept the court papers i was served but they marked it a dismissed will i be,able to get copy of it

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You will be able to get copies of any paperwork located within the court file. You will just have to pay the copying fee. The court file is located in the office of the clerk of the circuit court where your case was heard.

Thank you so much

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You are very welcome.

One more question i found out my landlord had been renting this apartment out for years getting tenants to rent but building has been failing city inspection them when it's reported he to city he greets then out before he goes to court its there any way he can be stopped out no i should just worry about me i just don't want another family to go through what i am on the verge of being homeless

Landlord-tenant topics