What do I do about a stolen money order from my apartment's drop box?

Jacksonville, FL |

I placed two money orders in the drop box that included my apt. number, but I think I left off the addressed to section. I was able to stop payment of one, but the other was cashed.
They are telling me I am responsible for a late fee and additional fees. I believe it was an inside job due to the fact a neighbor was also outraged for the same reason. What are the laws? I'm lost on what I can demand and if I should go for a lawyer.

Please help.

This is a difficult situation, and unfortunately the apartment complex can demand that you pay rent with the late fees or you could face eviction. I am not an expert with money orders, but I assume that there is a method by which you can determine who cashed the order. Does the complex admit to cashing the one order? If it is an ongoing problem with the complex, you may want to have a lawyer write a letter stating that you believe there is a problem with management, and the problem will be monitored in the future. Also, in the future make sure to photocopy each and every order, and you may want to consider sending by certified mail. Best of luck.

www.krrlaw.com

FOR A FREE 20 MINUTE INITIAL TELEPHONE CONSULTATION CALL 904-309-8461 NOTHING IN THIS ANSWER IS INTENDED TO CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP NOR SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A SUBSTITUTE FOR AN IN PERSON CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY/THIS ANSWER IS NOT INTENDED TO BE TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE, ALL PARTIES POSTING QUESTIONS ARE HIGHLY ADVISED TO IMMEDIATELY SEEK COUNSEL TO REMEDY THEIR LEGAL PROBLEMS. "THE HIRING OF A LAWYER IS AN IMPORTANT DECISIONS THAT SHOULD NOT SOLELY BE BASED UPON ADVERTISEMENTS, BEFORE YOU DECIDE ASK FOR FREE WRITTEN INFORMATION REGARDING OUR QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE" Irving &Reilly, P.L. 3733 University Blvd., Suite 212 Jacksonville, Fl. 32217

We have already started the process to find out who cashed it. If it was in fact someone from the complex, can I hold the complex accountable?

Kristopher Robert Reilly

Kristopher Robert Reilly

If it is someone from the complex, you have a very reasonable argument to hold them liable for the payment. However, I deal with apartment complexing on a regular basis, and I can tell you that sometimes absent the threat of legal action they are not always so forgiving.

Contact the company you obtained the money order through to see if there was any insurance on the amount. You can also find out where it was cashed and see if they have surveillance video.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Preston H. Oughton, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Preston H. Oughton poughton@oughtonlaw.com (904) 854-6336.