What do I do about a stolen money order from my apartment's drop box?

Asked over 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I placed two money orders in the drop box that included my apt. number, but I think I left off the addressed to section. I was able to stop payment of one, but the other was cashed.
They are telling me I am responsible for a late fee and additional fees. I believe it was an inside job due to the fact a neighbor was also outraged for the same reason. What are the laws? I'm lost on what I can demand and if I should go for a lawyer.

Please help.

1. Kristopher Robert Reilly

1

Answered . This is a difficult situation, and unfortunately the apartment complex can demand that you pay rent with the late fees or you could face eviction. I am not an expert with money orders, but I assume that there is a method by which you can determine who cashed the order. Does the complex admit to cashing the one order? If it is an ongoing problem with the complex, you may want to have a lawyer write a letter stating that you believe there is a problem with management, and the problem will be monitored in the future. Also, in the future make sure to photocopy each and every order, and you may want to consider sending by certified mail. Best of luck.

www.krrlaw.com

2. Preston Hall Oughton

Pro

Answered . Contact the company you obtained the money order through to see if there was any insurance on the amount. You can also find out where it was cashed and see if they have surveillance video.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Preston H. Oughton, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Preston H. Oughton poughton@oughtonlaw.com (904) 854-6336.