What do I do about a stolen and cashed paycheck? Is there any way to get that money back? Who is liable?

Asked over 1 year ago - Warner Robins, GA

I just found out (after receiving an unexpected W-2) that I was issued an unexpected rather large paycheck on 8/7/2012, supposedly mailed to my home. Per my employer the check was cashed on 8/9/2012, possibly in South Carolina from the bank name that cashed it. It was endorsed with my first and last name but a different middle name. The check was made out to me but didn't include my middle name. My name is somewhat common.

1. John S. Fason

1

Answered . You need to file a police report in town where you live ( for theft of check and forgery). Also probably file with the US postal inspector since check was stolen from the mail. Ask your employer to get you a copy of front and back of check. You need to sign a Forgery Affidavit so that your employer can give that to his bank and get the money back into his account. Then he should issue a replacement check to you. Act quickly since 6 months have passed. A form of Forgery Affidavit can be found on Internet by google or on FTC website.