What do i do?

Atlanta, GA |

i have a case for battery & disorderly conduct and i have a court date coming. But i also have a separate case n which i have a warrant out for my arrest. Will i be arrested if i appear in court, should i appear in court, what will happen. Do i need a lawyer

Attorney Poulson has provided you with sound advice. You would be well advised to have an attorney present at court with you.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

2. With all of this going on, you most definitely need an attorney. Your attorney may be able to work out some form of "soft landing" for the warrant, show that you are ready to get yourself square with the law on all charges. Better, also, that the attorney help you turn yoursefl in, or you may not get bail. You can search out an attorney here on AVVO or look at local ads. Call Monday morning.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

3. You definitely need a lawyer to help you sort through the issues you describe. If you do not get a good lawyer to help you you could end up with mulitple warrants and multiple holds...sitting in jail.

4. Have a lawyer with you for sure. I would not make the mistake of not going to the new court date because of the warrant. That would certainly make matters worse. Given that you could be arrested when you do appear in court though, I would definitely suggest having an attorney there with you. The attorney may be able to work out a reasonable bond for you. Good luck!

5. You absolutely need an attorney. You will face problems for the outstanding warrant on top of looking at jail time for the new charges. Assuming your new battery charge is a misdemeanor, you could be fined up to $1,000 and imprisoned up to 12 months on the charge. Additionally, you could be facing from 6-12 months incarceration on the disorderly conduct charge, depending on how the police and prosecutor have it charged.

Evan A. Watson is a Georgia licensed attorney. All information is based on Georgia law, and no response should be construed as legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is simply a form of legal education and is intended to provide general information for all readers. Please refer with an attorney who practices in your applicable state for non-Georgia legal questions.