What do I do?? Help me please...

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ripley, MS

I am almost 17 years old, my dad neglects me and dumps his parental responsibility onto his mother who recently moved, temporarily, to Georgia. I have a legit offer from a friend who is in her 30s and has offered to take full custody of me. My dad is hard headed and more than likely wouldn't agree, but doesn't take responsibility himself.. He says he is going to sign over custody to my grandma but I don't want to be uprooted AGAIN. Given that my mother died in a house fire in October, I currently have no one else to live with.. what are all of my options.. what do i do??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your friend is in her 30s the only option would be for her to be given a guardianship over you. If you are being neglected, please contact a teacher, counselor or other person that can get you proper social services

  2. Answered . First off, make sure you are safe. If you are being neglected you need to talk to your school counselor, the local police department or other community resources to make sure you are healthy and safe. Secondly, your friend (if he or she is stable and can prove to be stable) needs to seek and file for guardianship over you. At that point, a hearing can and will be had and a Judge will be able to decide if that is in your best interest or not. Keep your head up and pray!

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child neglect and custody

Child neglect is the failure to provide the necessary physical, medical, or emotional care for a child, but exact definitions vary between states and agencies.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,667 answers this week

3,834 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,667 answers this week

3,834 attorneys answering