What do a 15 year to life sentence mean plus a consecutive 17years and consecutive 5years??

Stockton, CA |

This case was very mixed up.. I'm currently trying to hire an appeal lawyer to appeal for a re trial...

Typically this means that the person will do 15 years plus an additional 17+5 years before they are eligible for parole. There is good time credit but it is very limited in the federal system.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

It means someone is going to do a lot of time. Usually the defendant does the determinate sentence first, then starts the life sentence. So in this case, that means 22 years goes first and after that sentence is completed, the defendant starts the 15 to life sentence.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

This is yet another example that what appears to be a relatively simple question is not simple to answer unless ALL the facts and an actual (not a paraphrasing) review of the court record is conducted by an experienced federal criminal defense attorney.

A determination of sentencing law must be methodically considered.

A cursory review of what good lawyers do every day will not serve you in this case.

Consult an experienced federal criminal defense in this and in all cases.

Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: www.waaltd.com 24/7 --(708) 481-4800.

This is a gang enhancement and carjacking case... there were 3 codefendants and the one with this sentence was not identified... i know this case was a huge mixup... and I am currently trying to get an Appeal lawyer to apeal for a re trial

Raymond George Wigell

Raymond George Wigell

Consult with an experienced attorney ASAP because there are strict time limits for appeals.