What defines a property as "uninhabitable" for purpose of Loss of Use Coverage via homeowners insurance?

Asked about 1 year ago - Canton, GA

I had a frozen pipe burst in my home, completely damaging the entire bedroom of one of my children (floors, ceiling, drywall, bed, mattress, etc), damaging the carpets in the bedroom of my other child, and damaging the hardwood floors of the living room and hallway. At this time all the flooring has been removed and am waiting on adjuster to approve estimate to begin repairs. The only remaining livable spaces are the kitchen, the master bedroom and master bathroom. My insurance company states that it is "uncomfortable but not uninhabitable" to live in the house with my 2 children until repairs are done and refuses to pay for Additional Living Expenses for us to take a hotel. They say only lack of heat or water would be considered uninhabitable. Thoughts??

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are no strict legal definitions alas

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,574 answers this week

3,629 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,574 answers this week

3,629 attorneys answering