What defenses do I have if I am being sued for property damage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Recently moved out of family home because my parents are divorcing. My dad now wants to sue me for damages to my room. Lived there for 11years damage that occurred happened some years ago. What can I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . My first response is try to mend fences with your dad. It is quite extreme to be in a lawsuit with your dad.

    Legally, if you negligently or intentionally damaged property that was not yours, the law can only reach back a limited amount of time to redress that problem. The basic time frame to bring a lawsuit for property damage in California is three years from the date of damage. Any damage done before that time cannot be the basis of a lawsuit unless your dad could not have reasonably discovered the damage during that time frame. In that case he would have three years from the date he discovered the damage or reasonably should have discovered it.

    I hope you do not have defend yourself against a lawsuit brought by your dad. That would be messed up. If you did the damage, perhaps you might consider offering to help fix it? That would be taking the high road.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,352 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,352 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering