Skip to main content

What defenses can I use for being charged with "forgery by passing" in the state of Texas?

Killeen, TX |

I unknowingly handed a store clerk a stolen/forged check that was handed to me by my "friend", to pay for her things. I did not know she was passing forged checks around, I am only guilty of being with her when she did this. I explained everything to the detective in charge of the case, hoping my innocence would be proven and this whole thing dropped, but it looks like now I will have to be appointed an attorney. I lost my job over this and have no money to hire one on my own. What should I do? This "so-called friend" did not show for her court appearance, but the last I spoke to her, (after my arrest) she said she was willing to tell the investigators/court that I had nothing to do with this crime and did not know anything about what she was doing.

Attorney Answers 3


First stop making incriminating statements online or to anyone else. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You've stated your only defense: lack of knowledge. If the store has the occurrence on tape, you have some proof of that. Get the tape now if it isn't too late.

Mark as helpful


You need a lawyer representing you. No matter what you say, the prosecution will not simply accept your word - this should be obvious since the cop did not accept your word. You need someone advocating on your behalf.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics