What day is the latest I can pay my rent in NYC. I live in a low income with a management.

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

please contact me lauraarriola2006@hotmail.com

1. Ernest DuBose

1

Answered . Typically you are late if you are more than 5 days late

2. Steven Warren Smollens

1

Answered . Dear Brooklyn Tenant:

Your posting should be anonymous. You should not disclose personal information. You should not solicit on off the AVVO response. You may always follow an attorney answer with a contact to the attorney.

I do not know what you intend by the question. A rent due date is determined by the lease. Most NYC leases do not provide a grace period. But you need to look at your own lease.

If you live in low-income housing you jeopardize your tenancy by not paying your rent on time.

Nevertheless, New York law forces a landlord to proceed with making a statutory rent demand on the tenant to pay past due and unpaid rent before starting a court case. Even should the matter go that far, and the landlord gains a judgment, NY law allows the tenant to avoid eviction by paying the judgment in the designated period.

Try to inform yourself about the nonpayment process in NYC at:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/pdfs...

http://www.nycbar.org/pdf/report/tenantsguide.pdf