What date and manner of last entry should I put in my immigration papers?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Stuart, FL

I came to USA on J-1 visa in 2009 but then changed visa type to B-2 and extended it twice. Now when I'm filing forms I-485 and I-765 what should I put as date and manner of my last entry (student visa in 2009 or B-2 visa in 2010)?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Answered . You should state that your current status is B-2 and mark the expiration date on the I-485 as the last day that your B-2 is current. Please note that when you enter the U.S. on a J-1, there are some restrictions that may apply, such as whether you are subject to the 2-year requirement. If you changed your status, you possibly are not subject to the requirement of returning home for 2 years before re-entering the U.S. However, you will want to check your visa page in your passport to see whether the 2 year restriction applies to you or not, before you file your green card. You also should check the DS-2019 and the I-94 you used when you entered the U.S. on your J-1 visa. All these documents should state that you are not subject to the 2 year rule. If this is not clearly stated on your documents, then consult with an immigration attorney before filing your green card.

    Lena Korial-Yonan, Esq.
    9425 Craven Road, Suite # 5
    Jacksonville, FL 32257

  2. Answered . Entry - J1 and current status - B2.

    You may want to talk to an attorney to look into the J1 visa change over to B2

  3. Answered . Did you change visa type or just change status? In other words did you go home before entering on a B-2 or did you do a change of status to B-2 while still in the U.S. and not go home thereafter? Your last entry is the last date you entered the U.S. (regardless of how many statuses you have had thereafter)..

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,097 answers this week

3,752 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,097 answers this week

3,752 attorneys answering