What dad and step mom want custody of my daughter?

Asked 3 months ago - Buckeye, AZ

I have a 5 year old daughter who is out of control and it is affecting my other 5 kids. My daughter seems to do much better when she is the only one and since she cant get that with me my dad and step mom said they would take her however they want custody of her. What are my options in this matter? Can I have joint custody with them? I feel she would be better off living with them but I want to see what options I have. Also I live in Arizona and I have sole custody of her at the moment.

1. Heidi Ann Davis

Answered . There are many options in your circumstance, but what is appropriate for you in your situation needs to be discussed with an attorney for advice as to what your goals are and how to best accomplish your goals. Some of the possibilities are Title 8 Guardianship, Title 14 Guardianship, going back to court to amend the current parenting orders, or the extreme of termination of parental rights. Without the consultation and advice of an attorney, it is unknown how to best address your question.

2. Brandy Ramsay

Pro

Answered . You could voluntarily give your parents Guardianship of your daughter, which would give them legal authority over her. However, if you do, then you would no longer have this authority, unless you eventually revoked the Guardianship. They would be able to take action and make deicions for your daughter regardless of your opinion or agreement. If you are looking to retain some decision-making authority and perhaps some parenting time with your daughter, then a Third Party Rights agreement would be best for you in Family Court. You did not mention the biological Father, but he would have to have notice that proceedings are pending regarding this issue.