What crim poss prop in 4th class e mean

New York, NY |

what brother just went to jail and is not tell me or my family why I went to look up inmate and it said crim poss prop 4th what is that mean plez tell me

1. Criminal Possession of Property in 4th Degree is a Class E Felony which can be committed in different ways - the most common of which is possessing stolen property with a value of more than $1,000. A Class E Felony conviction can result in a state prison sentence but it is also possible he got a deal involving city time. If you google "webcrims" you can find out public information on your brother's case.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only as I am not your attorney and you are not my client. Should you wish to obtain legal advice, you may contact my office at (212) 689-4343. This is attorney advertising.

2. Its a Class E felony. It does not carry mandatory jail time unless your brother has a prior felony conviction within 10 years (not including time spent in jail). This charge can sometimes be hard to plea bargain because the DA doesn't always offer a misdemeanor and these cases get used to give young DAs trial experience. I suggest your brother retain counsel.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.