What Court should I go to sue tenant?

Asked 9 months ago - Denver, CO

I will sue my former tenant for unpaid rent and damages. Total is over $10K. I know limit for Small Claims Court in CO is $7,500, but if I want to sue for the whole amount, and go to Superior Court do I have to have a lawer? Is it just easier and quicker to sue in Small Claims Court? I'm not sure what are my best options.

1. Donald Corky Eby

Pro

4

Answered . If you intend to bring a complaint against your former tenants for over $10,000 in damages the case will need to be brought in the County Court for the county in which the Defendant now resides. You may bring the case yourself, but I recommend giving serious consideration to hiring an attorney, you have over $10,000 on the line, you may be able to obtain the cost of your representation as a portion of the judgment amount.

Good Luck!

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

3

Answered . You would sue in County Court, which has jurisdiction up to $15,000 now. I am a former County Court Judge and refer all landlord/tenant cases to Mr. Eby.

3. Gregory L Abbott

3

Answered . I agree with the above answers but would like to add that while you can file and pursue the suit without an attorney in regular court, you also will be held to the same performance standards as an attorney. That includes compliance with all the court's rules and procedures - proper pleading format, compliance with time deadlines, motion filing and response, etc. There is a reason attorneys spend years in law school so you will be at an extreme disadvantage if your opponent has an attorney and you do not. Good luck.

4. Matthew James Casebolt

1

Answered . I would go to County Court. The limit there is $15K, plus attorneys' fees and interest. Check your lease to see if you're entitled to those. Must you have a lawyer? No. Should you? Well, for that amount of money, I think counsel would be appropriate. You're also going to want to have your attorney run an asset search on the tenant to make sure the lawsuit is worth it. If you cannot collect the judgment, its probably not worth your time so doing that search up-front is important. Otherwise, if you sue in Denver County Court, you will probably be ordered to mediation.