Skip to main content

What county small claims court do I file?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I have some tenant damage to a property I own in Brazoria County, TX . I sent the tenants a demand letter for the damage caused by them to the home and they had an attorney send me back a letter to not contact the tenant, but to contact the attorney directly. The property is in Brazoria County, TX, I live in Harris County, TX, and the attorney is also in Harris County, TX, but in a different precinct. I am looking to take them to small claims court, and was wondering what small claim court house to file it in? Should I file it in the Brazoria County were the home is, In Harris County near my precinct, or in Harris County precinct near the attorney's office?

Attorney Answers 2


Where can you file and where should are two different questions. Venue selection can be strategic at times. If it is for minor damages, it may not be worth your time to worry about strategic venue selection and just file where you know it will be accepted (where the house is located).

If you have a strong preference for a different venue, other factors will need to be considered to determine whether the other venues will be able to hear the case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Brazoria County.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics