What could the Status Conference Hearing do during the divorce process?

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Divorce

My wife and I will have a Status Conference Hearing soon, and I have also sent a proposal, as required, to the other party trying to solve some of the tough issues we are facing for our divorce. I don't know what the Status Conference could do for us if the other party doesn't agree with what I have proposed.

Could I bifurcate our marriage status and other unsolved issues? If the other party agrees to part of my proposal, do I also need to prepare the documents, such as stipulation, to present to the judge at the time of hearing?

1. Status conferences are for the judge to find out what is going on with your case. In other words, you report to the judge your “status.” The judge will make orders based on where you are in the process. For example, you could request a hearing on the bifurcated issue of status only dissolution. Or you can ask for an MSC or mediation. Not much gets done at status conferences other than to set future deadlines and hearings.

Best of luck to you.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.